[Scummvm-devel] PS2 ScummVM 0.11.x updates!

LavosSpawn lavosspawn at g-trans.de
Mon Feb 18 00:53:41 CET 2008

Hi
> Robert, you were right, you reworked something to get SJPCM IRX
> playing smoothly. Cause if I use the binary version you provided
> to me, the sound of the games is very smooth, otherwise with the
> vanilla from PS2SDK it will get very cranky (e.g. MK2 intro).
> Could you please send me a copy of your patched source? Thanks!

done.

> Mmm, like : "Error loading game resources."?

I seriously doubt that the backend has anything to do with it. If at
all, it might be related to some FIO thing, maybe it doesn't list the
contents of the directories correctly?
> It's even trickier on the PS2 cause we get different games behaviour
> depending on the medium you are starting them from. Examples:

NO WAY.
Okay, ComI simply doesn't work acceptably from cdvd, its file i/o is
simply too inefficient and the backend's caching can't compensate it.
But there shouldn't be _ANY_ other problems at all.
If you do have problems working with usb devices, I suggest you try a
different usb thumb drive. Even though the PS2 driver's support did get
a bit better in the meantime, it still doesn't correctly support all
devices. I tried to improve ps2sdk's driver a while ago, but it's
virtually impossible.
Problem is that every guy in the middle east who can hold a soldering
iron at the right end produces those devices. They all violate the
specifications in one way or another and e.g. 99% of the linux usb mass
driver's code is only for detecting and working around buggy HW.

> I got the PS2 HD working fine with 0.11.x and -using usbhdfsd.irx
> in place of usb_mass.irx- I was able to get quite a few games
> happily running from the USB too (yeah, copying data from the USB
> stick to the PS2HD is a royal pain...)

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that. After a while I gave up and wrote a
tool to copy a DVD's content to the HDD.
I strongly suggest you go through the pain of copying all games to the
ps2's hdd, you'll need them often enough.
> It would be nice if we could add (maybe as a developer feature) a
> way to run the games from host: e.g. from your computer hard disk
> over the network cable, this would -greatly- speed PS2 ScummVM
> development up, anybody out there have some experience about this?

I didn't implement that, because back then, ps2link didn't support
directory listing and without it it was obviously difficult to support it.
Shouldn't be hard to do, if you do have a corresponding ps2link and
ps2client version.
simply add "host:" to the device list in the same way its done for cdfs
and pfs0 and the rest should work automagically.
You can #ifdef it with __PLAYSTATION2_DEBUG_BUILD__ (or whatever I
called it) to make sure its only added when ps2link is actually loaded.

Anyways, I doubt it'll actually help you. the host access is horribly
inefficient, both via LAN and USB, the transferrates are way worse than
any other device and it puts a real lot of CPU load on the IOP.
So I don't think you'll come up with any useful results.
Also, I often had the LAN driver deadlock on me after transferring lots
of data.

Bye
Robert.