[Scummvm-devel] MSVC project files

Filippos K philipk79 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 1 19:54:05 CET 2008

Hello

After discussing with Eugene (sev), I'm sending this to -devel too, as not many people read the patches tracker.

Right now, an addition or deletion of a file in the scummvm tree might lead to desync in all the different MSVC project files, until a developer who uses a version updates the project files himself. An idea would be to use scripts to auto-generate all project files from a common source, which can already be done with appropriate batch files in the /dists directory. Should we also support MSVC7 and MSVC71 project files? I've commited a patch that converts MSVC8 project files to MSVC71 and MSVC7 ones. Currently, only one person is known to be using MSVC71 (quietust) and almost noone using MSVC7. Finally, the MSVC6 files are very outdated and in my opinion should be removed altogether.

Is any developer still using MSVC71 (VS2003) or MSVC7 (VS2002)? Should we keep them if it's "easy" for us to generate them with a script file?

Another idea suggested by Max (fingolfin) would be to use CMake:
http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Index.html

Your thoughts on this?

Also, please refer to:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1861744&group_id=37116&atid=418822