[Scummvm-devel] PlayStation2 AudioCD

Peter Bortas bortas at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 17:18:59 CEST 2008

On 7/11/08, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

>  Am 10.07.2008 um 07:39 schrieb sunmax at libero.it:
>

>  > ;-)
>  >
>  > I am in "write-combining mode", I cache all my mails and burst them
>  > out all in one go.
>  >
>  > Another idea, and probably the bigger show-stopper for possible
>  > PlayStation2 scummvm users.
>  >
>  > As an evangelist (of scummvm ps2, don't get me wrong!) I receive mails
>  > from potential users that don't have a modded PlayStation2 and are
>  > frustrated of not being able to at least try our toy.
>  >
>  > I know that it possible to create a special kind of CD, like it was
>  > an AudioCD instead of a data one, so that the PS2 will actually boot
>  > an elf program out of it, this program could be scummvm, no ? ;-)
>  >
>  > I cannot think we would be breaking any law by doing that, cause we
>  > are not using any special code from Sony or teaching people how to
>  > bypass protections, just making use of a feature already in the PS2.
>  >
>  > We could push it a bit further and do this special AudioCD plus some
>  > of the demo versions which are already linked from our website, and
>  > then put this image out for download as one of the 0.12.0 items.
>  >
>  > This would -hugely- boost PS2 scummvm usage, cause everybody who is
>  > able to burn an AudioCD could actually download it and start playing
>  > all the cool demos!
>  >
>  > Let me know what do you think about this.
>

> Sounds good to me. Might make me try to buy a used PS2, actually
>  ( andI don't like modchips ;).

Except, unless the first Max in this discussion has discovered
something new, there is no such method. You don't need a modchip to
boot ScummVM, you can do it with a few well placed files on a memory
card. But there is no known way of burning any kind of optical medium
and have it boot on PS2.

If there is, I'm not alone in being very interested in how.

--
Peter