[Scummvm-devel] BaSS/FotA icons and copyright

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jul 23 11:13:52 CEST 2008

Hi folks,

> Am 23.07.2008 um 09:12 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:
> As of the icons, there was a great thread on our forums:
>
> http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4127

Actually, I am not sure that these icons are clean in terms of copyright.
They involve significant portions of in-game / on-box graphics, just as
our website does; much of this may be copyrighted. The fact that this guy
distributes these icons "for free" does not mean that he has the right to
distribute them at all.

Maybe I am wrong with this, though, maybe the icons use too little
graphics to be affected by copyright; but at least for e.g. Guybrush, I
would expect LucasArts to hold copyright on him.

But maybe we can ask the produces of FOTAQ, BASS & Lure (i.e. Revolution),
Drascula for an explicit permission.

However, these icons all seem to be pixel based, no SVG. And to be frank,
I think the majority of them might look cool but are not realy suitable to
be used as desktop *icons*, basic principles of good icon design are
violated. So, I am not sure I would be too happy to make them "official".
Then again, they might be useful for David nevertheless.