[Scummvm-devel] Global menu save/load dialogs

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Nov 10 13:56:43 CET 2008

Am 10.11.2008 um 13:22 schrieb Johannes Schickel:

> On Monday 10 November 2008 12:39:34 Filippos K wrote:
>>> I already stated a common keyboard shortcut for GMM, across all game
>>> engines, would serve the same purpose and keep this optional.
>>
>> True, though as I mentioned I fail to see why this feature should
>> be kept
>> optional (apart from the sentimental value of the original dialogs, I
>> suppose), since it's clearly an enhancement over the original ones.
>
> I actually agree with Travis here. We should keep the original
> dialogs as
> default, means F5 or the key/button matching for the original engine,
> should always display the original dialog.

I agree with your agreement ;). That is: I want the GMM to be
accessible in all engines, but I do not wish to force this upon users.
So, users can continue to use the game's GUI, if any, but if they want
to, they can take advantage of the GMM.

Also, it should be possible for *backends* to trigger the GMM, e.g. by
adding a new event for that. This way, we can add a "open GMM" hotkey
to console ports with few keys. That might be quite useful.

> SCUMM can probably make an exception here, since the SCUMM engine
> uses a
> custom GUI based dialog anyway, so after it is possible to add the
> SCUMM to
> the GMM, it's hard to see any reason not relink F5 to the GMM.
>
> Apart F6 is easy to find and could be kept across all engines. So I
> don't
> see any problem with that, after all the user can still use F6
> instead of
> the default shortcut to open up the GMM.

Actually, F6 is used in some games, e.g. AGI games, so I am not
totally comfortable with that. In fact, I am not sure whether there is
any single key that is not used in some game. Maybe using something
like Alt-F6 would be possible, though ?

But of course the virtual keyboard & remapper code should also allow
one to change this keybinding... :)