[Scummvm-devel] Global menu save/load dialogs

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 22:03:26 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> I fail to see the benefit here! If the user wants to use the GMM, he
> uses our global hotkey (until we choose otherwise: F6). Voila. No
> config option to find and document, no surprised "Hm, odd, on my
> machine the save menu looks completly different" by friendly neighbors
> trying to help out with your ScummVM install.
>
> And if you prefer the game's built-in dialog, just access it via
> whatever means the game offers.

Same thoughts about that here.

Side note about one downside of the GMM for KYR: Currently since I
don't have any possiblity to check when the GMM is opened up, it's
hard to interrupt animations, walking etc. which prevent the game form
being savable. The original menu doesn't have any problems with that,
so the GMM is a bit 'harder' to use for save/load than the original
menu, yet another reason why I would like the original menu to stay
default in KYRA.

> OK, maybe you were thinking of this when you suggest an option for
> choosing between original and GMM save dialog. However, that won't
> work. Some games just never will be able to save via the GMM, or even
> to provide a hotkey for a savedialog (some games don't even have the
> concept of "saving" your game state). Showing the GMM is about the
> best we can do for them... And/or letting the engine override the
> EVENT_SHOW_MAINMENU handling by triggering their built-in
> "menu" (actually, we could just make Engine::openMainMenuDialog
> virtual for that purpose). Alternatively, those engines could add an
> "show built-in GUI" button to the GMM, if for whatever reasons they
> want to offer both menus.

While I could open up the kyra original main menu on some key
combination (with major hackery :-), I doubt it would give any
advantage :-).

// Johannes