[Scummvm-devel] The 7th Guest

Filippos K philipk79 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 08:37:53 CET 2008

The work done on this engine is wonderful, and I'm up for adding it
to the ScummVM tree

As for 16bpp color support... well, the GUI does use 16bpp color,
plus there are already supported games, such as Ween: The Prophecy,
which would need that many colors to work. There is even a patch
that aims to add 32bpp color support:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1664514&group_id=37116&atid=418822
Also, the later Zork games (Nemesis, Grand Inquisitor etc) use a
similar engine as MADE, if I'm not mistaken, but use 16bpp colors.
Moreover, QuickTime videos used in games (e.g. Myst and Riven) need
more than 256 colors to be shown correctly. Finally, many newer
adventure games that could potentially be added to ScummVM in the
future had 16bpp colors (if memory serves right, Star Trek: The next
generation, a finaly unity had 16bpp).

So in my opinion it would be better to aim for support of resolutions
with a higher number of colors in the future, instead of not adding
games that need more than 256 colors, since SDL itself has support
for more than 256 colors anyway. Some platforms and non-SDL
backends might not support that many colors, but not all the games
that ScummVM supports run under all platforms anyway (due to other
constraints, like for example memory).

Just my 2c
Filippos