[Scummvm-devel] The 7th Guest

John Willis John.Willis at Distant-earth.com
Wed Nov 12 10:38:05 CET 2008

Henry,

>For those that haven't been following it, Jordi, Scott and myself
>have been working on t7gre, a project to reverse engineer The 7th
>Guest and reimplement it as a ScummVM engine. As of recently, the game
>is completeable, and so the time seemed apt. Would the team accept the
>T7G engine into the main ScummVM repository?

Excellent news on the engine, really nice to see that support for Groovie is
taking shape. I'll have to grab the code and build it up for a look at how
things have moved on in the last few months.

Whilst my opinion does not count for much I can see this being a fine
addition to ScummVM. I would tend to think of T7G in exactly the same mould
as RTZork and in my view it meets the entrance criteria for ScummVM as a
true point and click adventure/puzzle game ;).

I guess we always run the risk of diluting the focus of ScummVM with each
new engine but I can only see that as a testament to its popularity and
architecture and these additions should be reviewed on a case by case basis
anyway :).

Out of interest who would be maintaining the engine? I assume it would be
the 3 of you?

I can see the 16bit issues being a problem but ScummVM is going to have to
deal with that sooner or later and it strikes me that you, as an engine
team, may be more motivated then others to work on it. That would be "A very
good thing(tm)".

Even taking the engine for just the one game still seems valid.

Cheers,

John