[Scummvm-devel] The 7th Guest

Jordi Vilalta jvprat at jvprat.com
Wed Nov 12 14:42:24 CET 2008

Hi,

2008/11/12 Travis Howell <kirben at optusnet.com.au>:
> Wouldn't the current 8bit color limitation of ScummVM become a major
> issue in the future though? since only a single game of GROOVIE game
> engine actually uses 8bit color.
>
> How far do you plan to expand the GROOVIE game engine in the future? as
> I expect adding 16bit color would be easier in separate project, without
> having to worry about how that change, would effect other parts (ie
> other game engines) of ScummVM.

So far we've done some tests using a grayscale palette and just
showing the brightness of each pixel (getting a black and white
version of the images) and it looks quite acceptable. I'd say the 8bpp
won't be a blocker issue and we should be able to add support for the
rest of the games of the engine without it (unless there's a puzzle
which asks "clicking on the red button" ;). We'd just miss the "color
feature", which is very low priority for me at the moment.

See you!