[Scummvm-devel] The 7th Guest

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Nov 12 10:42:35 CET 2008

Am 12.11.2008 um 05:39 schrieb Travis Howell:

> Henry Bush wrote:
>> I'm not sure when one becomes the other... Several games (11th
>> hour, the sequel, and three (possibly four) others) use a similar
>> engine (which is called "groovie" btw (or possibly "GROOVIE", but I
>> don't like all caps), but they're all 16bit colour, so that hurdle is
>> a little higher to jump! At the moment the dos (/win) target is
>> primary focus, but mac shouldn't be too much hassle (in fact I think
>> it works atm, but without music, Jordi can correct me if I'm wrong
>> ;-).
>
> Wouldn't the current 8bit color limitation of ScummVM become a major
> issue in the future though? since only a single game of GROOVIE game
> engine actually uses 8bit color.
>
> How far do you plan to expand the GROOVIE game engine in the future?
> as
> I expect adding 16bit color would be easier in separate project,
> without
> having to worry about how that change, would effect other parts (ie
> other game engines) of ScummVM.

That's a very valid point, and IMO Henry, Jordi and Scott should
seriously consider the ramifications. But in the end, I don't mind
adding groovie to ScummVM. Just don't expect any quickly grafted 16bit
hacks to be accepted should you want to extend support to 16bit games.
Of course you are welcome to work on implementing 16bit support
properly (which would imply making a design for the new system first,
and discussing it with the team on this very list).

Bye,