[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM binary size comparison

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Nov 12 11:00:23 CET 2008

Hi there,

Just to give a small update on this: We are considering removing the
XML parser altogether, and instead using an external tool to convert
the theme XML (and later, the virtual keyboard XML) into a binary
format, which would be a lot more compact than XML, and even could
contain image data. Validation of the XML would be done externally,
too (using DTD / XML Scheme / RelaxNG). This would probably cut
50-100k from the current code size. The binary theme like would have
to be regenerated for new releases.

My hope is that Tanoku is willing to work on this (I'd be happy to
provide some assistance, too), but maybe others are also interested --
if so, please talk to us :)

Bye,