[Scummvm-devel] Progress with Archive & SearchManager

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 2 11:52:16 CEST 2008

Filippos K wrote:
> I disagree that ScummVM is broken under Windows after Max's commit. If a
> user sets the theme path correctly (which he should), everything works
> as expected. Perhaps this might give users a better incentive to
> actually *set* the theme/extras/save paths to something viable, and we
> might not have users in the future who complain that ScummVM can't save
> or crashes during saving.

No, it doesn't work as expect at all. The default theme fails to load,
along with any game requiring an engine data file.

Why should a user have to set any extra or theme path, unless required
(ie custom theme, sharing data files) ?

The save game path is a separate issue, there is no default location for
saved games under Windows. And I have mention adding a option, to prompt
  for the save path location, if it has not been set before.

> All in all, I agree with Max and think that we should *not* fall back to
> the current directory. This saves us from "weird" errors such as, for
> example, engine data files (e.g. kyra.dat) with different versions,
> stored in ScummVM's folder, inside the game's folder and inside the
> extras folder

Actually the problem is usually a person has an older engine data file,
with the game's data files.

> ScummVM works perfectly under Windows XP and Vista for me right now, and
> I don't see why we should add that hack back to please lazy users who
> don't want to change ScummVM's paths

Under Windows, all essential files, are usually stored with the
executable file.

Other ports of ScummVM used a default data files path, where the engine
data files and theme files are stored.

The default data files path could be set to the current working
directory, for the Windows port only.