[Scummvm-devel] RTL branch to be merged (relevant for *all* developers)

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 10:00:45 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 09:21:02 Filippos K wrote:
> > And now, opinion's corner: speaking of general behaviour, after an engine
> > is shutdown it should
> > always go back to the launcher. The only way for a direct quit should be
> > the GMM dialog. What do
> > you guys think about this?
>
> I agree on this, I believe it would be better if engines always return to
> launcher...

I'm against it actually. Most engines which feature the original menu actually
ask the user to *quit* the game and I would find it most confusing if I'm
still running ScummVM when I asked to *quit* the application.

> As for the engine features: I think that currently, most engines support
> these (i.e. return to launcher, list saves etc), with some notable
> exceptions where save games are completely handled by scripts. Wouldn't it
> be better semantically to change these features the other way around, i.e.
> mark engines that do NOT support them? (e.g. kSupportsRTL 		->
> kDoesNotSupportRTL and so on)

I think that it supports RTL is something special not every engine (think of
future engines) may be able to support, thus an indication flag that it
supports it makes much more sense to me than a flag that it does not support
it.

// Johannes