[Scummvm-devel] RTL branch to be merged (relevant for *all* developers)

Vicent Marti tanoku at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 20:05:01 CEST 2008

Greetings people, I'm back from my well deserved holidays.

Let me start by saying that I'm extremely glad that my GSoC project is
going to me merged into the trunk and that I'm ready to do everything
possible to make the merge smooth as silk.

I'm trying to get up to date with all the stuff going on after the
release, so please bare with me and my slowness. To start off, I don't
know much about the Virtual Keyboard project (except that it uses my
XML parser, hehe), but I take it uses some kind of rendering code to
draw the virtual keyboard on the screen and that this code is bitmap
based.

The thing is, would it be in order to change the VKeyboard rendering
API to use my Vector Renderer before merging it in? Or maybe change it
after my merge? Or maybe just leave it using bitmaps?

As far as I know, the XML parser was used in the project to parse
HTML-like image maps, so changing the system to use a vectorially
rendered keyboard may require quite a bit of extra work -- work which
probably won't overweight the benefits of having a vector based
keyboard (not having to embed more resources with the executable,
allowing theme-based designs for the keyboard, etc).

Either way, even if the keyboard is still rendered using bitmaps, I'd
say it would be nice to have some better integration between the new
GUI and the virtual keyboard (at the very least, packing the keyboard
themes together with the GUI themes would be nice).

Opinions?

Vicent Martí