[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 0.13.1 has been tagged

David Weinehall tao at debian.org
Sun Apr 19 17:07:24 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 04:04:55PM +0300, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 13:41:48 +0100
> "Thierry Crozat (Yahoo! Mail)" <thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > As you touch this topic, I also have a question for the porters (or
> > whoever know the answer): what are the platforms for which the
> > various game data files (e.g. igor.tbl, drascula.dat, queen.tbl.
> > kyra.dat...) are distributed with the ScummVM executable, and what
> > are the platforms (if any) for which they need to be downloaded
> > separately by the user?
> To quote myself:
>
> sev> Here is recommended contents for release archive for your build
> sev> ...
> sev>  kyra.dat (from dists/engine-data directory)
> sev>  queen.tbl (from dists/engine-data directory)
> sev> ...
> sev> Please, continue to be uniform in this aspect as well across our
> sev> ports.

I do not include the .dat/.tbl-files in the Debian packages, since they
are of Dubious legal status, since they are extracted from non-free
games.  Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen are obvious
exceptions, but they seem to get along fine without them; I seem to get
along fine without them?.  Obviously when Drascula is packaged for
Debian, drascula.dat will be included in that package if needed,
but other than that the files will have to remain for separate download
as far as the .deb's are concerned (unless it can be shown beyond any
doubts that distributing these files is legal).

[snip]

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao at debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //