[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM goes buildbot

Andre Heider a.heider at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 21:25:15 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> There are some things left to do for the buildbot setup, I think, I'll try
> to sum up what pops to my mind:
>
> * We need the OK from qvist and Andre that we can show the snapshots to the
> world (i.e., <http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/trunk/>).

Sorry for the delay.

I talked to qvist about this a few weeks back. We added monitoring of
various things, one beeing the bandwidth the VM uses. Since we can't
estimate how much the snapshots take up, the idea was to just start
hosting those and see where we're at. If it gets too much, we move
them somewhere else - qvist beeing the judge.

So as far as I can tell, we can make that link public now.

One drawback: currently the snapshots are just tarballs of binaries
among some runtime files. A better way would be to use platform
specific packaging, like a bundle for os x/iphone, I just haven't had
the time to work this.

> * We should add symlinks to the latest builds for each platform. Maybe even
> group each platform into its own directory, otherwise it will quickly get
> confusing.

A "latest" symlink is already present, but its still a mess ;)
- New nightly builds are currently just added, older onces should be
wiped. Like: keep only builds from the last x nights.
- Platform specific folders would help (especially it can only get
worse, since some toolchains are still missing).

I can add those feature, hopefully soon.
There's a history of asking "someone" on this list to help out, but
I'll try it anyway ;) Anyone interested in diving in into this
buildbot setup? It's not just about these minor points, I shouldn't be
the only one familiar with its setup.

> * It might be wise to include source snapshots which each build, too...

Should be easy to add, we just need a decision ;)

> * And finally, on the long run, add more targets: NDS, PS2, WinCE, Symbian,
> Ubuntu, Fedora, BeOS, OS/2, Solaris, IRIX...  maybe even Palm (if we can
> switch it away from using Metrowerks :).

CE: Kostas has a user account on the VM for cegcc, but I think he was
busy too at the time.
DC: We had a volunteer, I mailed him twice a few weeks back, but
haven't heard anything since. Marcus, do you mind? :D
PS2: I think (the other) Max mentioned that he was willing to set up
the toolchain after 0.13.1.

Regards,
Andre