[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM goes buildbot

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Apr 20 21:59:32 CEST 2009

Am 19.04.2009 um 21:25 schrieb Andre Heider:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
>> There are some things left to do for the buildbot setup, I think,
>> I'll try
>> to sum up what pops to my mind:
>>
>> * We need the OK from qvist and Andre that we can show the
>> snapshots to the
>> world (i.e., <http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/trunk/>).
>>

> Sorry for the delay.
>
> I talked to qvist about this a few weeks back. We added monitoring of
> various things, one beeing the bandwidth the VM uses. Since we can't
> estimate how much the snapshots take up, the idea was to just start
> hosting those and see where we're at. If it gets too much, we move
> them somewhere else - qvist beeing the judge.

OK, as long as you guys have an eye on it... :)

> So as far as I can tell, we can make that link public now.

Good!

> One drawback: currently the snapshots are just tarballs of binaries
> among some runtime files. A better way would be to use platform
> specific packaging, like a bundle for os x/iphone, I just haven't had
> the time to work this.

Yeah, definitely would be good. But for now, this is a lot better than
nothing :)

>> * We should add symlinks to the latest builds for each platform.
>> Maybe even
>> group each platform into its own directory, otherwise it will
>> quickly get
>> confusing.
>
> A "latest" symlink is already present, but its still a mess ;)
> - New nightly builds are currently just added, older onces should be
> wiped. Like: keep only builds from the last x nights.
> - Platform specific folders would help (especially it can only get
> worse, since some toolchains are still missing).

Yes to both. How many builds should we keep, though? I think a few
days should be sufficient, right? Say, the last 3 builds for each. The
only reason to keep multiple would be so that people who are in the
middle of downloading a build don't get a broken download, right?

> I can add those feature, hopefully soon.
> There's a history of asking "someone" on this list to help out, but
> I'll try it anyway ;) Anyone interested in diving in into this
> buildbot setup? It's not just about these minor points, I shouldn't be
> the only one familiar with its setup.

Yup, exactly. So, a volunteer or two? I think knowing a little bit
about Debian and python would be helpful, but are not really
necessary, right?

>> * It might be wise to include source snapshots which each build,
>> too...
>
> Should be easy to add, we just need a decision ;)

Well, decision made, we want those :-).

Bye,