[Scummvm-devel] System independent widescreen support

Bertrand Augereau bertrand_augereau at yahoo.fr
Mon Apr 27 20:28:35 CEST 2009

> I'm not sure I follow exactly what you mean. Do you
> mean stretching the
> graphics to make the image wider? (Wouldn't that make
> it look terrible?)
> Or do you mean inserting black bars on the sides to keep it
> from being
> stretched? (I would have thought SDL would do that
> automagically, but I
> don't have a widescreen monitor so I don't know how
> they act.)

It happens so that the SDL backend does the first thing by default (at least on my laptop) which gives an ugly stretch. And when I say "by default" I mean I don't know how to get the non-default.
I tried to browse the net a bit and it seems to be generally advised to do the pillarboxing in the client code during the blitting.
A possibility to use a custom picture instead of black filling might be nice too, for those artistically inclined :)

Cheers,
Bertrand