[Scummvm-devel] ScummVM 1.0.0: Release status 2009-08-08

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Sat Aug 8 16:59:54 CEST 2009

Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> As it was decided in the past, below schedule is in fact for 1.0.0pre1
> release which is planned to be released on August 31st. But I propose
> to have this backlog of bugs, as well as our release testing page to be
> directed towards 1.0.0 release which hopefully will be released in
> October. Earlier I did not run such e-mails for the bugfix releases.
> What do you think?

My view on this is: the release testing we do is anyway geared for
1.0.0. Thus we don't need to delay the RC just because we don't have
enough tests for the final release yet. Since I guess (and deeply hope)
our 1.0.0 release will be made from the same branch (branch-1-0-0) as
the release candidate and thus is under feature freeze anyway, it should
not have any negative impacts to keep the old testing results.

Of course we might want to ask our users to do one test per game (maybe
even only one path per game) to see whether there had been any
regressions caused by bug fixing in our RC. If we do this, we should
probably mark all tests, whether they have been made with daily testing
builds before RC1, with RC1, or with daily testing builds after RC1. The
might want to drop the "Date" bit on our testing page for this and use
the "revision"/"version" the user supplies instead. It should be much
more precise and since we do include the revision string in our test
builds lately, I don't see any reason to keep "Date".

One bit: I would name the next release "1.0.0rc1" (or "1.0.0-rc1")
instead of "pre1". "pre" has been used by us for daily testing builds,
which were not fixed so far, that might be confusing. Also many projects
are using "rc#" instead of "pre#" for release candidates, so users might
be more used to that terminology. Examples for that are Windows
releases, Ubuntu and KDE (and probably many others ;-).

// Johannes