[Scummvm-devel] Updated Translation Patch

Jordi Vilalta jvprat at jvprat.com
Thu Dec 10 15:46:28 CET 2009

Hi,

2009/12/9 Alex Bevilacqua:
> The problem I have is when you try to run make, it gives you the following
> error "common/module.mk:28: *** missing separator.  Stop." ... however if I
> manually run the command (tools/po2c $^ > common/messages.cpp) it works
> fine.

>From a fast look at the patch file the cause of this error seems to be
the bad indentation of that line (Makefile commands have to be
indented with 1 tab). I hope that fixes it.

>>> Basically, the scummvm.pot file can be created successfully, and you can
>>> generate localizations using msginit, but I haven't been able to actually
>>> utilize any of the .po files in the GUI (I updated the themes to include the
>>> necessary label/dropdown though so it's there for testing).
>>
>> What exactly is the stumbling block here?
>
> I think because I'm unsure when to stick the PO files, I'm unable to test if
> the localizations actually work :(

The main stopper for that task is that (as it's explained in the
original item's comments) the message handling approach should be
changed so that the message catalogs aren't statically linked into the
executable. That means stopping the usage of po2c and writing a
replacement system so translation packs can be loaded like current
themes.

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta