[Scummvm-devel] timing news postings

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Dec 23 14:58:39 CET 2009

Am 23.12.2009 um 12:32 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:

> 2009/12/23 Max Horn <max at quendi.de>:
>>
>> Am 23.12.2009 um 02:34 schrieb Johannes Schickel:
>>
>>> I guess in the future it would be nicer to have some talks
>>> about timing on -devel beforehand when people want to announce their
>>> games as supported to avoid such things :-).
>>
>> This sums up what I really want, yeah. Don't decide things on IRC,
>> decide them here. At the very least, announce them here.
> Guys, this is quite puzzling.
>
> Robert announced readiness of Dragon Historie on November 30th, and
> Vladimir e-mailed -devel on December 15th. Everybody knew about
> upcoming news announcements.

It was clear that they would be announced *eventually*, but not when
exactly. In fact, I expected the announcements on Nov 30 and Dec 15,
which would have been just fine. Now, they both appeared on Dec 21 and
Dec 22, which is unfortunate in my eyes.

> I agree that this time the timing of the news post was not ideal, but
> the Real Life(TM) prevented from posting the announcements with 2
> weeks timespan as originally intended.
>
> Please advise on how do you think situation could be improved. Though
> I do not want uber-complicated schemes.

Simple: Post to -devel "I am going to announce this and that in N
hours / days". Wait a bit, then post. This gives other the chance to
shout "Wait, if you can hold it one more day, we can make a joint
announcement".

Bye,