[Scummvm-devel] Section 3.7 in our README (Smacker)

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Dec 31 01:27:14 CET 2009

Am 30.12.2009 um 21:02 schrieb Torbjörn Andersson:

> Max Horn wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> to quote from our README:
>>
>> 3.7) Broken Sword notes:
>> ---- -------------------
>> Broken Sword 1 and 2 both come with in-game cutscenes compressed
>> using
>> RAD Game Tools' legacy Smacker(tm) format. As RAD is unwilling to
>> open
>> the older legacy versions of this format to us, and have requested we
>> not reverse engineer it, Revolution Software has kindly allowed us to
>> provide re-encoded Broken Sword cutscenes for download on our
>> website:
>> [...]
>>

>> Clearly, this section is outdated with ScummVM 1.0.0 (which has this
>> very same README, by the way). Maybe "somebody" could replace the
>> text
>> with something more appropriate in trunk, branch-1-0-0 and the Wiki
>> (if the same issues appears there, too) ?
>
> This may be far too wordy, but how about something like:

I like it for a historical run-down; and it'll be illuminating to long-
time users who otherwise might be confused by a change in directions.
However, new users just want a brief and plain guide what they should
do, and are not interested in the background.

So, I think we can use your text (and feel free to commit it, too ;),
I just would insert a paragraph at the top stating something like this:

"In past versions of ScummVM, the cutscenes for the Broken Sword games
needed to be converted before you could use them with ScummVM. This is
no longer the case, so if you just want to play these games, you can
skip this section. If you want to know a bit more about this (e.g.
because you are using one version of the cutscenes and are wondering
how it differs from another), read on."