[Scummvm-devel] Shirt Mockup

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Feb 27 04:25:00 CET 2009

Hi,

OK, I didn't get timofonic's mail (who, by the way, is not a ScummVM
team member, but of course entitled to an opinion like everybody
else). He apparently only sent that to Dan. So I am rearranging stuff
a bit to reply to both emails.

> On Feb 26, 2009, at 8:43 PM, timofonic timofonic wrote:
>>

>> It's OK, but the design is too much of the early SCUMM verb list.
>> What
>> about non-SCUMM engines? There are more than 20 different engines in
>> trunk branch of the Subversion repository. Maybe showing some kind of
>> interface resembling objects/looking of different engines in a nice
>> way could be the way to go.

I don't think it makes sense to create a fake adventure GUI for this.
Either we use something "insiders" will recognize, or we use nothing.

And despite supporting so many engines, we are still called ScummVM :-).

>> I also think a contest must be made, just for making the community
>> feel being part of the project. Please reconsider the decission.

Uhh... Wait a bit, you got several things wrong there... :-)

First off: No, we are not obliged to ask anybody. If people like the
final T-shirt, they can buy it. If they don't like it, well, they
don't buy it. And of course everybody is welcome to make other T-
shirts, there are many shops and services out there offering that. So,
we *may* run a contest, but nope, nobody is *entitled* to it.

Running a contest is a lot of work, and apparently, nobody is interest
in doing it, so we don't do it.

Finally, no decision on a specific design was made yet. :-)

>> What about improving the draft of the news? I can help a bit, but my
>> English is a "bit" inaccurate so they will need lots of gramatical
>> improving :-)

I am not opposed to a contest, but for weeks nobody stepped up to
organize it, so I don't see the point in waiting any longer for it. It
doesn't stop at "touching up the news item", though. If somebody
promises to collect the submissions, and to write follow up news
items, and if this person steps up by tomorrow, we can do it, but
otherwise, I am against it: Either we look unprofessional because it
takes us weeks and months to get anything done, or the work again
sticks to Eugene and me, and I don't want that. After all, we are
supposed to be a team, so "someone" should be willing to spend that
work, right?

Anyway, if "someone" finally appears, after weeks of hiding, here are
some remarks to that news item:
* I don't want the public to decide on the winner. It's fine by me to
let them vote (who organizes the poll and sets up the tech? I think
SF.net offers some tools for that, if someone wants to research it).
But the final decision should be with the team
* A vector version should be mandatory, I'd say. Even better, Dan
should tell us what are the minimum specs for a design (like, what
resolution)
* Submission timeline should be specified with a timezone (e.g. UTC)
* Submissions should be limited in file size (they could send a low-
res version if they wanted to).
* "The winning design will become property of ScummVM and available
under the same license as the main project. " is a void statement:
First off, ScummVM is not a legal entity and cannot own anything (Same
holds for "The ScummVm team".). Secondly the GPL is not an appropriate
license for a T-Shirt design. Creative commons or GFDL might work,
though.

Bye,