[Scummvm-devel] Dropping MPEG2 code?

Torbjörn Andersson eriktorbjorn at telia.com
Sun Jan 11 19:18:52 CET 2009

Max Horn wrote:

> That's exactly how I would want it to be done :). Volunteers?

The restructuring that was made when adding support for DXA cutscenes
makes it quite straightforward to remove the MPEG support from Broken
Sword 1/2:

http://www.update.uu.se/~d91tan/ScummVM/mpeg2-removal.txt

(That's a diff against current SVN.)

Actually, for Broken Sword 1 you could probably go even further. There
is support for some more advanced cutscene packs. I think the idea was
to make language-independent cutscene packs, but I never added support
for the video part of them to the DXA player, because I wasn't (and
still isn't) convinced that they even exist.

If you remove the remaining traces of them, starting with the
cutscenePackVersion variable from the SystemVars struct, you would also
lose the SplittedAudioStream class from animation.h, and most (all?) of
credits.cpp.

But maybe I've been wrong all along, and the advanced cutscene packs
really do exist...?

Torbjörn Andersson