[Scummvm-devel] GOG-Affiliate program, recent additions to website

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Thu Jan 22 13:53:12 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 09:22:16AM +0000, clem wrote:
> My suggestion is to remove the GOG link, remove the banner from the main
> page and have the respective link(s) on "where to buy games" on the wiki:
> http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Where_to_buy_games

I agree that the link at the top of the forum is not really necessary.
It feels out of place there.

I don't think it's out of place in the right panel on the main page,
though. The design could use improving, but the current button is only a
first version. The effect is probably worsened by the similarly
differently designed 'support this project' SF button, actually.

> To ask more provocatively, why is there just the GOG banner up? Why not also
> make the forum link to Amazon, ebay, and the other sites selling ScummVM-
> supported games? Because it does not generate revenue?

GOG seems much more closely aligned with the ScummVM project than more
general sites like Amazon and EBay: they're making older, previously
hard-to-find games available again, which I'm personally very happy
about.

> I don't have that much of a problem with
> the news item/the announcement on the forum (other than it's a pretty
> thinly veiled advertisement), but at least I don't have to look at that
> constantly.

I'm generally not a fan of advertisements at all, but in this case I
think a reasonable number of visitors would truly be interested in it
(extrapolating from my own interests). Moreover, they offer a service
for which there are no real alternatives.

If any particular aspect of the wording can be improved to make it less
of a problem to "look at it constantly", please let us know.

-Willem Jan