[Scummvm-devel] Documentation team (was: Bring testers to the team?)

Thierry Crozat (Yahoo! Mail) thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 13 22:18:09 CEST 2009

Since sev will probably be the only one to read the rest of the mail,
I'd like to start with a question to the team: last time I updated
the screenshots on the wiki I noticed that the thumbnails are not
updated. This is for example visible on the following page
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_Manual/
Running_and_Using_ScummVM#Adding_a_game
The screenshots (when you click on the thumbnail) are from version
0.13.0 but the thumbnails are from an older version (e.g. the Load
button is missing). The thumbnails are created automatically when
adding an image to the wiki, but apparently they are not updated
automatically.

The only relevant info I found on google is that the line
$wgHashedUploadDirectory = false;
might be uncommented in LocalSettings.php , which means (among other
things) that the thumbnails are cached and that the cached thumbnails
need to be deleted in order for them to be updated. I suppose there
is no way for me to do this and only somebody with access to the
server on which the wiki resides can do it? Or does somebody have
more information on how to force an update of the thumbnails on the
wiki?

Now let's answer the mail from sev.

Le 13 juil. 09 à 20:08, Eugene Sandulenko a écrit :

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:52:52 +0100
> "Thierry Crozat (Yahoo! Mail)" <thierry.crozat at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Is it also time to try to revive the documentation team? I remember
>> there was a discussion about it some time ago but it seems the idea
>> (or the documentation team itself) died.
> Actually this is the thing I wanted to discuss with you.
>
> Could you take the lead and become our documentation maintainer?

Yes, I would be pleased to do it. The timing might not be perfect
though as I am going on holidays for ten days on Friday and I will
have no internet access (or intermittent access) which is not great
to work on the wiki and contact the other member of the team if
needed :-( (unless there is a way to work offline?).

> There were 2 guys since your post whom I granted Wiki access:
>
>   Svipur aka Yuri Palenov
>   garrythefish aka David Rozic (he's on IRC)
>
> And as you see, there are 2 more people on the forum post.

Nice. Should this forum post be made sticky for a time by the way?
I have also been thinking about starting using IRC for a while now
but never found a reason good enough to actually do it. That will
give me one good incentive to do it.

> What I see at hand is needed to do:
>
>   - Update screenshots to current state

I was planning to do it this evening after some play testing of Sam &
Max.

>   - Describe new GUI features such as search box, improved Mass Add,
>     GUI features (i.e. mention the reason why something could be
>     disabled)
>   - GMM

It is also on my TO DO list (there is a start for it btw on the page
I linked above).

>   - Review current documentation for omissions and complete it
>   - Review for the readability, probably shuffle content around,
>     split/merge pages

Yes. Actually I wanted also to look at the wiki a bit more globally.
It makes no sense imho to have duplicate content in the manual /
platform / game pages. Therefore I wanted to have a look at this and
try to make a proposal on what content we should have in the manual,
in the platform pages and in the game pages (e.g. installation on a
specific platform, controls, compatibility, etc.). Then we can have
links between the different sections. Currently there seems to be no
rules and we don't have the same content on all the game pages or all
the platform pages.