[Scummvm-devel] Break save game compatibility in SCUMM game engine

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Jul 14 10:46:40 CEST 2009

Am 14.07.2009 um 06:07 schrieb Travis Howell:

> Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
>> We need to discuss this change in a separate thread and come with
>> less
>> intrusive solution if possible.
>
> Splitting into separate subject, as requested.
>
> I propose to completely break compatibility with old save games in the
> SCUMM game engine, in order to clean up various code, that has been
> limited due to keeping compatibility with older saved games.

[...]

> I'm especially interested in feedback from Max, who had to work around
> these limitations many times in the past, and would have better idea
> of
> what code improvements could be made.

I am not happy with that idea. We put a lot of effort into keeping
compatibility, and I wouldn't to throw that out of the window unless
there was serous gain by this, that would offset the serious hurt
it'll go to cause people with existing savegames.

Can you tell us what major benefits this would yield? I cannot see any
right now, except that it would allow us to "beautify" some of our
code -- which is always nice, but IMO doesn't justify such a drastic
thing.

So right now I don't know of anything that cannot be done while
retaining compatibility. Since you obviously think differently, it
would help to tell us, explicitly :).

Bye,