[Scummvm-devel] Bring testers to the team?

Travis Howell kirben at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 14 11:33:52 CEST 2009

Max Horn wrote:
> Am 14.07.2009 um 04:28 schrieb Travis Howell:
>> Walter van Niftrik wrote:
>>> If we add testers to the team that doesn't mean we need to stop
>>> public
>>> testing. ;)
>> I know, I just meant it offers more disadvantages than advantages,
>> compared to our public testing.
>
> Hu?? How can having dedicated testers *in addition* to the current
> testing have *any* drawbacks?

I thought I made that clear already, if the same person is testing the
same game again and again over time, it will usually result in less
thorough testing (essential parts only) each time.

> That makes no sense. Especially since some porters (e.g. Neil for the
> NDS) have specifically stated that testing all games on the port,
> which they have to do themselves, is one of the major time wastes in
> the release cycle. Public testing is already employed there, but
> simply not enough. If we have a handful people who test beta builds of
> the NDS port, for example, that would greatly help Neil.

Since when was the porter responsible for all testing? in the past beta
builds of the NDS port have been posted via the forums, before each
release, and received feedback on issues.

It should still be up to each porter to a least confirm each game engine
is actually working though.