[Scummvm-devel] Break save game compatibility in SCUMM game engine

Norbert Lange lange at chello.at
Sun Jul 19 15:22:03 CEST 2009

I would like to see if atleast some of the path issues that apparently
occur in Windows (http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7628) would be
fixed. Should default to the same directory the config-file gets generated.

And related to that the code to determine the place for the config file is
a bit messy aswell. There are functions that work with practically any
32-bit Windows out there (excluding only Win95/WinNT without IE4+).

The required change would be in
sdl.cpp, Function getDefaultConfigFileName

and would look like this:

char configFile[MAX_PATH];
SHGetSpecialFolderPathA(NULL, configFile, CSIDL_APPDATA, TRUE);
strcat(configFile, "\\ScummVM");
CreateDirectory(configFile, NULL);
strcat(configFile, "\\" DEFAULT_CONFIG_FILE);

Downside ofcourse would be that old config-files have to be moved on some
Windows Versions (I guess only Win9x), and some really dead Versions
wouldnt run with complaining about a missing "shell32.dll" - and this
could be fixed by installing IE4 or newer.
Optionally we could do a fallback by checking for shell32.dll but I dont
think its worth it

Regards, Norbert