[Scummvm-devel] Fancy pantsy javascript for the downloads page

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Jun 16 00:19:30 CEST 2009

Hi Fredrik,

great work! This is already going in exactly the right direction, I
think. There are some things that could be improved, though, at least
IMHO. For starters, not everybody is so experienced with the web; and
while hidding things can make things look tidy, it can also make it
more difficult to find them for the inexperienced. Not everybody will
guess that "[+]" inside a text means "click here to expand a list with
many files". In fact I am pretty sure we'll start seeing people
complaining that the downloads page lists no downloads :).

Conclusion: Maybe we should include the text "click here to
expand" (possible printed in a shaded color tone / smaller font, to
make it appear more "in the background"). Or do something else to make
it visually clearer that more data is hidden there.

Furthermore, it's great that the OS is auto-detected, but sometimes I
want to download a binary for a different system. Right now the page
looks as if there was only one binary (for your current OS), and no
other. So, how about adding the text: "Want ScummVM for a different
platform? Click here to see more!" or so ?

A bigger "wish": The Download links are small, because we need to
conserve space. But maybe the "featured" download, the one for current
ScummVM on "your" OS, could be displayed in a much much bigger
version. You know, a bit like the huge "download" button on <http://www.mozilla-europe.org/
 >. Maybe we can find somebody to design such a download button for
us, with the ScummVM icon in it, and we can feature that on the
downloads page.

Come to think of, I wouldn't mind having such a big "Download ScummVM"
button (with a smaller "Click here for more downloads" next to it)
right on the frontpage. Maybe below the "What is ScummVM?" section and
above the news?

BTW, we are free to rearrange stuff on the frontpage, if that makes
sense.