[Scummvm-devel] Fancy pantsy javascript for the downloads page

Fredrik Wendel fredrik_w at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 16 22:01:08 CEST 2009

Hi Max,

Great, even more feedback!

> Conclusion: Maybe we should include the text "click here to expand"
> (possible printed in a shaded color tone / smaller font, to make it
> appear more "in the background"). Or do something else to make it
> visually clearer that more data is hidden there.

Well, if you take a look now I've added a text (right-aligned). Probably need to
tweak the colors though so it's a bit more visible against grey background and a
bit less visible against the red background. I'll also remove the [+] as it
seems very redundant to have both.

> Furthermore, it's great that the OS is auto-detected, but sometimes I
> want to download a binary for a different system. Right now the page
> looks as if there was only one binary (for your current OS), and no
> other. So, how about adding the text: "Want ScummVM for a different
> platform? Click here to see more!" or so ?

Good idea, implemented it, as well as made sure to remove the elements from the
binaries list (so they don't appear in both list). Figured I might as well
insert a link to the new "platform" list into the top navigation list (this will
probably disappear again when we get the download button below).

> A bigger "wish": The Download links are small, because we need to
> conserve space. But maybe the "featured" download, the one for current
> ScummVM on "your" OS, could be displayed in a much much bigger version.
> You know, a bit like the huge "download" button on
> <http://www.mozilla-europe.org/>. Maybe we can find somebody to design
> such a download button for us, with the ScummVM icon in it, and we can
> feature that on the downloads page.

I'll see what I can whip up. :-)

How do we handle the event when there are multiple suggestions?
Biggest candidate here are Linux downloads, I try to probe Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian
user-agents, but those fail all four Linux downloads will be in the list. Make
the button big enough to fit four items is one solution.

> Come to think of, I wouldn't mind having such a big "Download ScummVM"
> button (with a smaller "Click here for more downloads" next to it) right
> on the frontpage. Maybe below the "What is ScummVM?" section and above
> the news?

Yeah, already been thinking about something like that. Let's fit it into the
downloads page first. Then just duplicate it and put it on the frontpage.

> BTW, we are free to rearrange stuff on the frontpage, if that makes sense.

I'll still run suggestions like these through IRC (at first while doing early
WIPs) and then -devel to get further feedback.

Regards,
Fredrik