[Scummvm-devel] PS2 #8 : performance : Scumm Load : important

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Mar 2 15:49:01 CET 2009

Am 02.03.2009 um 00:59 schrieb sunmax at libero.it:

> When there is a huge list of saved games (let's say > 40)
> for a certain game, we have to go through all of them to
> read the names of each saved game. This is -slow- on some
> media.
>
> - could we store the entries in a separate file?

I'd prefer not. This would make it annoying to exchange saves between
systems. If we added an index file like that, we'd have to add an
option for it to be rebuilt, IMO. I know that several engines use a
central index file like that, and in each case I dislike it.

> - otherwise, once we scanned all the matching entries
>   in the saved folders, could we keep it cached (just
>   the list of entries), so that we don't have to build
>   it over and over again?

Definitely. Might be a bigger task though -> file a FR to make sure it
is not forgotten, and hope somebody on the list is interested :).

> - when you click on any entry on the list of the saved
>   games, couple of nodes are created in (not-so-)rapid
>   sequence. What's the purpose of that? So far we just
>   clicked on an entry in the list, no need to create
>   any nodes until we are ready to load!

Well, the load dialog wants to load meta data from the savestate,
including a thumbnail picture. BUt it shouldn't create any FSNodes, as
it uses the savefile manager. Now, if the *default* savefilemanager is
asked to load a game, it has to do that somehow, which means it needs
to create an FSNode and open that. Why it would create a couple nodes,
I have no idea, somebody will have to investigate the code (on a
desktop machine with a nice debugger it should be no problem).

Bye,