[Scummvm-devel] PS2 #11 : user-friendliness : pre-named saved games : nice

sunmax at libero.it sunmax at libero.it
Tue Mar 3 01:06:56 CET 2009

Hi Max,

> With our somewhat limited GUI, I guess the way to do it would be to
> auto-fill in a name if the user left it blank.

I think we already do someway, cause I either was dreaming after
2 days of ScummVM & PS2 madness or I left a slot empty and it
was filled ("Save 0" ?) when I was trying to load.

> In a more advanced GUI, I would indeed pre-populate the entry field
> with a default text, and then make sure it is *selected*, so that if
> the user wants to use a  different name, he can just start typing.

I know...

> But if we pre-populate in ScummVM, and I don't want to use the name,
> I have to press backspace again and again and again...

... that's why I was suggesting to implement this only on PS2
(as #ifdef) or for consoles if there are more requests, where
you would not have to replace anything. The name is just there.
If you click on one of the slot already used, it will show as
selected and you would be allowed to replace older games, but
otherwise everything you will see would be:

"Save 0 - 11-20-2008 4:32"
"Save 1 - 03-02-2009 6.56" < -that's the one we are gonna save

The new name just appeared and it's pre-selected, I a am not
allowed to edit name, but if I select the previous one I can
replace it. Just a quick idea, if anybody envision a better
scenario, please let me know.

I will file a FR for this hopefully somebody will follow up,
or I can do it myself once everything else in place on PS2,
cause it kinda bothers me to have my save games in binary
code (where "y" keeps the place of "1":  0y0y0y00yyyy);

Regards,
 -max