[Scummvm-devel] Understaffing (Was: What is happening to the ScummVM team?)

Joost Peters joostp at 7fc1.org
Wed Mar 4 17:12:57 CET 2009

Eugene Sandulenko schreef:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:59 AM, Joost Peters <joostp at 7fc1.org> wrote:
>> A PR person -- Would organize this T-Shirt contest (if any), would write
>> and post news items (release and otherwise).
> I am doing most of the PR these days, but particularly for the T-Shirt
> contest we already have a volunteer. The PR there is not the prime
> goal.
>
> I consider PR to be /very/ sensitive, so I wouldn't really like to
> give that to anyone else besides Max.

Yes, well, I didn't mean PR in the sense of all official dealings with
outside parties, but rather promotional things like writing regular news
articles detailing what's going on with ScummVM, organizing contests and
all the administrative stuff that comes along with it.  Organizing the
ScummVM meeting (if it ever happens).

>> A dedicated webmaster -- Responsible for maintaining the website, wiki
>> (and forums?), would help guide the rewrite.
> I was looking after our Web, since I took part in creating of current
> layout. But now, once [vex]'s design could probably enter I would
> prefer him to do this if he doesn't mind.

That'd be nice. ;)
If not, surely there must be someone who enjoys doing web stuff, and
would want to do this?

>> Build server administrator -- Would set up the automated build
>> environment, chase porters to set up their toolchains, etc.
> We really need that one. Only Max so far is in charge, but he is not
> very interested in doing this work, at least not alone.

I'm definitely willing to help here, but I lack the advanced system
administration experience needed to set this up professionally &
securely.  If someone is in charge, I'd be happy to help in whatever way
I can.

>> Of course, this still requires us to find dedicated and reliable people
>> to fill these positions
> These people, at least for some of the roles have to be trustworthy. I
> do not want, for instance,  our forums to fall because of an oversight
> or security breach.

Yes, you are right.  The positions I listed as examples are somewhat
sensitive, and maybe we shouldn't try to farm them out and simply grit
our teeth every X month(s) and do them, but there are other areas with
less responsibility that would be nice to have people working on more
regularly.

Regards,
Joost