[Scummvm-devel] PS2 #19 : games : special saved files : important

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Mar 5 21:46:59 CET 2009

Am 02.03.2009 um 19:23 schrieb sunmax at libero.it:

> Hi there,
>
>> Well, actually, it doesn't seem quite that perfect to me -- it's a
>> hack.
>
> I know :-(
>

>> One possible way to do such a modification would be to add a
>> "gameprefix" parameter to all relevant API calls.
>
> Oh man, I would love that, but now that you taught me:
>
>> You could use ConfMan.getActiveDomain() to determine the target
>
> Would that still be necessary?
>
> Cause if a method is interested into the gameprefix it could just
> poll that (but likley I am missing something in the big picture).

Well, it is OK to use it that way, I guess, but slightly hackish (we
nowhere explicitly document that the current active config domain
corresponds to a game).

Moreover, changing the savefile manager API would enforce that all
engines adhere to the TARGETrest or GAMEIDrest convention.

I think at the very least we should document this requirement in the
savefilemanager docs...

>> Actually, in SCI, *all* saves are prefixed by the targetname, like
>> "TARGET-realname.ext".
>
> I am happy. And sad at the same time cause on MC we have a 32 bytes
> path limit too... and we are already using it partially for:
>
> mc0:ScummVM/[game]/

Well, the above was just an example, most SCI save are of the form
TARGET.ext.

OTOH, I have this save in my saves/ dir: Baseball2001baseball2001.rec.
Oh and also sword2demo-settings.dat

Bye,