[Scummvm-devel] Removing igor

Gregory Montoir cyx at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 12 00:55:04 CET 2009

Max Horn wrote:

> [...]
>
> In summary, I still believe we should remove igor, since:
> * there has be no progress on it in two years
> * the engine only supports a demo
> * it is very difficult to add full support for this game
> * the game is very obscure and hard to obtain
> * due to the hard coded logic, there is no synergy to be hoped for
> which would allow playing further games in the future
> * the existing source code would still be in SVN and thus not be lost,
> should anybody wish to resume work on it in the future
> * due to the hardcoded nature of the game, it is not even clear
> whether the existing support for the demo version would be
> particularly helpful when adding support for the full game.
> * we don't waste efforts on maintaining an otherwise dead engine

Agreed.

And rewriting the whole game logic as it was started was probably not
the right thing to do. Interpreting the x86 bytecode directly (or at
least some of parts of the original code segments) may be easier. So get
rid of the code, if someone wants to support the game I suppose it would
be restarted from scratch anyway.

Bye,
Gregory