[Scummvm-devel] IMPORTANT: Usability improvements for ScummVM GUI

Hubert Maier raziel_nosgoth at web.de
Mon Nov 23 22:52:27 CET 2009

Hi Eugene,

> Couple days ago one Russian company announced that they are making
> promotion for making "the world better." This company specializes on
> usability and GUI development. They are offering for certain number of
> projects to perform a usability review or development with three

> I applied, and now ScummVM is elected as one of candidates for
> development by plan (b), that is small fee.

> The fee in question is 4000 RUR which roughly equivalent to $140 USD.

Forgive my ignorance, but i don't think 140 USD is a "small fee".
25 to 50 USD would be, but maybe i'm too long off the market prices for such
works

> Thus the question. What do you guys think about applying?

> The topic in question is at:
>    http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/ui_design_and_usability/75988/
> (use Google Translate from Russian)

> and the topic where we are announced as selected:
>   http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/ui_design_and_usability/76147/
> They will ask the money only in case we will really like their work.

What does *that* mean?
We participate.
They say "Your GUI is ****", we say "Go **** yourself" and don't pay? :-)

> So what do you think?
> PS. Please reply ASAP

As it seems to already draw too close to take a different step, i'd say why not
(i especially like the "Don't like it? Dont  pay!-part ;-)

otoh i'd probably went the other road on announcing something on the lines of
asking our users what *they* would like to be changed or added to the GUI ...
i mean, they are the ones that use it at most, don't they?

of course ... my comment is to be taken with a large grain of salt, as i have
nothing to say here anyway :-D

Ciao

Hubert