[Scummvm-devel] Slowdowns in SCI and SAGA

Kostas Nakos knakos at phys.uoa.gr
Wed Nov 25 17:19:14 CET 2009

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:33:14 +0200
yotam barnoy <yotambarnoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know SCI is in development. However, SCI0 works so beautifully on
> the PC, and it used to work well on the PSP too. I decided to load it
> up in gprof to see what's eating up cycles -- the engine simply
> crawls. Turns out the OPL code is bringing the PSP to its knees, no
> matter which OPL driver I use (Dosbox or MAME). 90% of CPU time is
> used up handling the OPL stuff. This doesn't happen in any other
> engine.

By some tests I ran over the weekend, I can verify too that SCI runs
slower than other engines on CE (about 3 times slower for SQ than scumm
for DOTT). Since I don't have profiling capabilities, there seemed to
be some correlation between high cpu usage and the music playing,
based on the cpu load meter.

Best,
Kostas