[Scummvm-devel] PSP plugin system

yotam barnoy yotambarnoy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:51:36 CEST 2009

Hi guys

At Max's request, I wanted to let you know that we've added a plugin system
to the PSP.

The system is based on the DC code which was very cleverly written. I
adapted it to MIPS, cleaned some things up, and clarified some others. There
was a particular challenge in supporting the MIPS's $gp register, in
supporting some of the more complicated MIPS relocations, and in debugging,
which involved reading assembly code, decoding stack frames, dumping ELF
file sections and other such fun pursuits.

As of right now, the code is not easily extend-able in the sense of
inheriting a general class and modifying it. I did start on such a project,
but work was postponed until the PSP's patch was finished. In addition, the
matter of how we load plugins in Scummvm in general needs to be examined so
as to enable the NDS to use the plugins, as the current method will not work
with the NDS's measly 4MB of memory.

Therefore, if you want to add plugin support to your port right now using
the DC method, I recommend working with the PSP's codebase. Adding plugin
support for the PS2, for example, should be quite trivial -- at least in
theory.

Feel free to ask me any questions should you need assistance

Yotam aka Bluddy