[Scummvm-devel] FreeSCI options and filters

Kostas Nakos knakos at phys.uoa.gr
Wed Sep 2 11:50:11 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:55:12 +0000
Filippos Karapetis <philipk79 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> So, I'm proposing the following:
> - Remove the options for background picture buffering and dirty
> strategy, They're not really useful, and can be set to default values
> safely
> - Keep the per-view palette enhancements, and apply them
> automatically if the palette enhancing files are found for the game
> running (e.g. if we're running LSL2 and lsl2.scifx is found)
> - Remove the FreeSCI scaling code. It doesn't offer much, it's not
> optimized and our scalers do a better job. Plus, removing it will
> simplify the code considerably
> - Disable dithering by default, and offer an option to enable it, for
> purists

I agree on all of these, with the following remarks:

1) We are still keeping a dirty update strategy right? Just not the
"dirty" one, it's the "clustering" one.

2) Scaling: I have no clue about this. If ScummVM draws at, say,
320x200 and scales up to x3, does this indeed still look better than
doing a vector draw at the x3 resolution? (Setting aside for minute the
considerable, I suspect, problems of doing this in ScummVM).

3) Dithering looks cool, so we should definitely keep it -- I don't
mind if it's disabled.

Cheers,
K.