[Scummvm-devel] FreeSCI options and filters

Filippos Karapetis philipk79 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 2 12:00:17 CEST 2009

> 1) We are still keeping a dirty update strategy right? Just not the
> "dirty" one, it's the "clustering" one.
Yes, sorry for the confusion. My proposal was to keep the dirty rect handling code, but set it to always have the "clustering" option all the time (as we do in all the other engines)

> 2) Scaling: I have no clue about this. If ScummVM draws at, say,
> 320x200 and scales up to x3, does this indeed still look better than
> doing a vector draw at the x3 resolution? (Setting aside for minute the
> considerable, I suspect, problems of doing this in ScummVM).

It does look better because of the antialiasing which occurs in the ScummVM filters. And yes, doing this in ScummVM will be problematic, as we need to change the screen size to, say, 640x480 at ENGINE level and then perform another graphics filter step in the graphics backend (for the extra antialiasing etc). This will be very slow and inefficient

> 3) Dithering looks cool, so we should definitely keep it -- I don't
> mind if it's disabled.

I personally find it ugly, but some people like it, so it would be nice to keep it as an option, yes :)

Which reminds me... is there any way of actually having a custom option in the GUI for stuff like this? There was a talk about custom engine options at one point in the past...

Regards
Filippos