[Scummvm-devel] "Intelligent" forum spam bots

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Sep 18 10:52:06 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

recently we got more and more successful spammers "coming thru".
Worse, some seem to be semi-intelligent. To the degree that I start to
be uncertain who is and who isn't a spammer. See e.g. this guy:

   <http://forums.scummvm.org/search.php?search_author=deanhanson>

What he says makes *some* sense and is connected to the thread it is
posted in, although it is rather off-topic. Of course many humans act
just like that, so....

I wonder how we should deal with such people. PM them privately to
test if they are bots? And of course we'd want all moderators to be
aware of how to deal with this all...

Also, I wonder if there are better forum protection measures we could
implement. Of course, our forum is rather unmaintained as it is
(running on a software, phpBB 2, that hasn't been further developed
for quite some time now). Maybe we need to switch to yet another
discussion board software (and find an admin for that) ?

Bye,