[Scummvm-devel] 1.2.0 release discussion (was Re: GSoC'10 is over. Great success!)

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Tue Aug 24 13:47:47 CEST 2010

On 24 August 2010 14:21, Filippos Karapetis <bluegr at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are many things to be added for version 1.2.0, including the GSoC
> code, and
> the new engines (i.e. SCI, Hugo, AGOS/Personal Nightmare, Fascination, Big
> Red Adventure....)
> Is any of these going to be added to 1.2.0? I'm guessing that Personal
> Nightmare will be
> added, not sure about the others. Are we adding any of these, or will they
> wait for 1.3.0?
I would say this.

It is pretty safe to integrate 2 GSoC tasks, those are decompiler and
testbed engine. Both are completely independent.

As of the remaining 2 tasks, I would prefer to postpone them to 1.3.0.
I.e. announce start of the release preparations these days, and merge
the tasks as soon as the release branch is created. This could give
the porters more time for testing, as we are touching the very low
level stuff here.

The things which are safe to announce:
  * Translation support
  * Improved GUI
  * Androind and Dingux ports

Probably it is safe to announce support for /some/ SCI games. I.e. we
are not obliged to announce every one of those are being tested now,
as there are quite a bunch of bugs.

Speaking of Fascination, I am fine with it, but testing has to be announced.

Hugo is probably not yet ready, though it is up to Strangerke to say
'go' for H1 win.

AGOS/Personal Nightmare? At least I am not aware of it. If it was made
completable, we have to update our NEWS file.

As of the version numbering. I see no difference is 1.2.0b followed by
1.2.0, or 1.2.0 followed by 1.2.1. It is exactly the same thing
release-wise. If you guys feel better with betas, I am completely OK
with it.

The main concern for me now is SCI engine. The testing although being
fruitful and effective became a bit of load to the developers. I do
not want to worsen the situation or push low quality engine to
release.  It is up to you guys to tell me whether you are ready or
not. We may decide to save SCI for 1.3.0.

Currently our release got slipped by a month, i.e. usually we had it
on last week of August. If we start now, we will have it at mid of
September as the fastest.

Another subject to discuss is possible skipping of testing for
particular games. What I am thinking about is to analyze the commit
history for each engine and decide between those engines which
stability was not altered since the last release (i.e. no significant
commits), and those which were changed or are new. Then skip testing
altogether for stable engines. The number of games is really
increasing, and without the event recorder it becomes more and more
hard to perform a full-blown pre-release testing. What do you guys
think?

Eugene