[Scummvm-devel] Testing needed for GSoC OpenGL Branch

vgvgf vgvgvgf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 00:22:46 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) It seems the "-g" command line option does not work anymore. Here
> is a gdb backtrace, when I started scummvm with "-g1x":
Fixed.

> 2) When changing the filter via Ctrl-Alt-f or the fullscreen mode via
> Ctrl-Alt-Enter I sometimes get a corrupted view. As far as I can tell
> that happens, when the client code does not call updateScreen after
> the backend changed the mode, when there's a new updateScreen call
> everything seems fine again. Probably the backend does not redraw the
> screen correctly here. I am running on Linux/amd64 for you
> information.
>
> A possible test case is the following KYRA demo:
> http://demos.robertmegone.com/kyra/kyra1-dos-ni-demo-en.zip
>
> Just press Ctrl-Alt-f after the logos showed up, and before the
> animation in the first scene with the tree house started. You need to
> be quick though, I noticed some leftovers from the launcher there
> sometimes and otherwise just graphics noise.
I couldn't reproduce the issue, still I tested this on Windows, I will
have to debug this in linux and see how opengl performs there.

> 3) I read a bit in this thread and I am still confused about the
> aspect modes you can cycle through Ctrl-Alt-a. It seems currently
> there is no way to run 320x200 games in 4/3 aspect mode (at least not
> with the default sources). That is rather unfortunate since back in
> the days 320x200 was used on a 4/3 CRT, thus 320x200 is also a 4/3
> mode. It seems the current code does not take that into consideration
> though. I really think that we should have support for displaying
> 320x200 with a 4/3 aspect ratio, thus like it would be a 320x240 mode.
> Of course some games rather think that 320x200 was really a 16/10
> mode, check this for example:
> http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/videogames/steelsky/trivia_resolution.html
I removed the 4/3 aspect ratio option along with other specific
options, still I can add 4/3 back if desired. Still that would make 4
options for ctrl-alt-a, or 3 if "original" is moved to a new hotkey,
but that is not that bad. I will see to add it along with a
ctrl-shift-a option for going to the previous option.

> Also currently there's some "Original" aspect ratio setting you can
> switch on via Ctrl-Alt-a, this seems only loosely related to the
> aspect ratio, but rather related to the scaling setting, i.e. when I
> activate it in fullscreen I get only a small view of the original
> (with the "original" aspect ratio). That rather seems out of place for
> the aspect ratio settings.
You are right, it is not really related to aspect ratio corrections,
however, it does fit in ctrl-alt-a as all options there are related to
the game screen stretching, activating "original" means that no
stretching should be done. Because of that, I think that having that
option there seems convenient. I could add it in a separated hotkey,
still that would complicate the things a bit, but there is no problem
for implementing it.

> 4) The screenshots taken with the OpenGL backend have wrong colors.
> The R and B components are mixed up. I attached two screenshot from
> the Kyrandia 1 demo, one taken via the plain SDL backend (without a
> "gl") and one with the OpenGL-SDL backend (with "gl").
I will have to investigate futher on this, it seems I'm missing
something about how glReadPixels works or when detecting if the SDL
window is using a BGR or a RGB pixel mode.

> 5) Switching the fullscreen modes via Ctrl-Alt-Enter is tiresome. When
> one misses the mode he wants to use, he has to cycle through all modes
> again. I guess some hotkey for next mode and previous mode would be
> much nicer here.
Added a Ctrl-Shift-Enter hotkey for backward switching through fullscreen modes.

Regards,
Alejandro