[Scummvm-devel] Testing needed for GSoC OpenGL Branch

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 16:54:00 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 6:08 AM, vgvgf <vgvgvgf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please report if there is a bug or something that is not working
> properly, I hope there are people interested on testing :)

Hi,

I was playing a bit with the OpenGL branch and I noticed some issues:

1) It seems the "-g" command line option does not work anymore. Here
is a gdb backtrace, when I started scummvm with "-g1x":

0x000000000040cbd1 in Base::parseCommandLine (settings=..., argc=2,
argv=0x7fffffffe378) at base/commandLine.cpp:383
383						while (gm->name && !isValid) {
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000000000040cbd1 in Base::parseCommandLine (settings=...,
argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe378) at base/commandLine.cpp:383
#1  0x00000000004089a5 in scummvm_main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe378)
at base/main.cpp:310
#2  0x0000000000405e9e in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe378) at
backends/platform/sdl/posix/posix-main.cpp:46

2) When changing the filter via Ctrl-Alt-f or the fullscreen mode via
Ctrl-Alt-Enter I sometimes get a corrupted view. As far as I can tell
that happens, when the client code does not call updateScreen after
the backend changed the mode, when there's a new updateScreen call
everything seems fine again. Probably the backend does not redraw the
screen correctly here. I am running on Linux/amd64 for you
information.

A possible test case is the following KYRA demo:
http://demos.robertmegone.com/kyra/kyra1-dos-ni-demo-en.zip

Just press Ctrl-Alt-f after the logos showed up, and before the
animation in the first scene with the tree house started. You need to
be quick though, I noticed some leftovers from the launcher there
sometimes and otherwise just graphics noise.

3) I read a bit in this thread and I am still confused about the
aspect modes you can cycle through Ctrl-Alt-a. It seems currently
there is no way to run 320x200 games in 4/3 aspect mode (at least not
with the default sources). That is rather unfortunate since back in
the days 320x200 was used on a 4/3 CRT, thus 320x200 is also a 4/3
mode. It seems the current code does not take that into consideration
though. I really think that we should have support for displaying
320x200 with a 4/3 aspect ratio, thus like it would be a 320x240 mode.
Of course some games rather think that 320x200 was really a 16/10
mode, check this for example:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/videogames/steelsky/trivia_resolution.html

Also currently there's some "Original" aspect ratio setting you can
switch on via Ctrl-Alt-a, this seems only loosely related to the
aspect ratio, but rather related to the scaling setting, i.e. when I
activate it in fullscreen I get only a small view of the original
(with the "original" aspect ratio). That rather seems out of place for
the aspect ratio settings.

4) The screenshots taken with the OpenGL backend have wrong colors.
The R and B components are mixed up. I attached two screenshot from
the Kyrandia 1 demo, one taken via the plain SDL backend (without a
"gl") and one with the OpenGL-SDL backend (with "gl").

5) Switching the fullscreen modes via Ctrl-Alt-Enter is tiresome. When
one misses the mode he wants to use, he has to cycle through all modes
again. I guess some hotkey for next mode and previous mode would be
much nicer here.

// Johannes