[Scummvm-devel] [Scummvm-cvs-logs] SF.net SVN: scummvm:[48147] scummvm/trunk/engines/draci/music.cpp

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Sun Feb 28 01:17:41 CET 2010

Robert Špalek wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Johannes Schickel
> <lordhoto at scummvm.org <mailto:lordhoto at scummvm.org>> wrote:
>
>     Actually MT-32 MIDI is no General MIDI implementation first of
>     all. Next the MT-32 does only feature 9 channels, while all (?)
>     General MIDI implementations feature 16 channels. That's actually
>     why the channel mask is set to 0x3FE, which is binary
>     0000001111111110, i.e. it only enables channels 2-10 (when you
>     start counting from 1 on). By default those are the only channels
>     the MT-32 will accept MIDI data, for example channel 1 (or 0) is
>     "ignored" by default. AFAIK it is possible to reconfigure the
>     MT-32 to use different channels numbers for data.
>
> thank you for the explanation.  unfortunately, I don't really know
> which instruments used in our game play in which channel and therefore
> how it sounds when played on this card.  well, at least the game runs
> on the 3 major platforms (Windows, Mac OS, Linux) well, so probably
> we're doing things right.

I guess it wouldn't sound too good anyway, at least in case you are not
using a General MIDI -> MT-32 MIDI instrument mapping. And even with
that it might not be too nice.

Btw. the MT-32 is no card. It's a MIDI syntheziser
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer> module, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MT-32

// Johannes