[Scummvm-devel] Issues with kyrandia engine

yotam barnoy yotambarnoy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 13:32:21 CEST 2010

Hi everyone

I've noticed an issue with Kyrandia on the PSP for a while now. At the time,
I thought it was due to changes made for Lands of Lore, and I basically
ignored and forgot about it. I checked it again recently and noticed it was
still there, so I thought I'd let everyone know. I should mention that I
noticed this long before I made the recent changes to the PSP port,
including the refactoring.

The issue I'm noticing is that the engine reacts strangely to cursor
movement. To be more precise, animations often don't happen at all unless I
move the cursor. Just to give an example, at the start of Hand of Fate, I
see the animation of the hand pointing towards me. But I don't get to see
the menu at the bottom unless I deliberately move the cursor. This same
thing happens throughout the game: the character may not move until I move
the mouse about. Moving the cursor seems to supply extra animation cycles
for whatever reason.

I don't notice these issues on the Windows port, but maybe that's because
micro movements of the mouse allow the animation to move along? Or maybe
it's just something different in the behavior?

Has anyone else noticed this issue, especially on other portable platforms?

Yotam