[Scummvm-devel] Switching ScummVM repository to Git

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jun 16 22:03:34 CEST 2010

As an example of the code review abilities of github, consider e.g. this:

<http://github.com/facebook/three20/commit/26b5b00337555dc82f18590cddb222835c387401#src/Three20UICommon/Sources/TTBaseViewController.m-P14>

Here you can see how users comment on specific lines of a commit, pointing out issues and getting replies. Automatic email notifications are of course possible (and it is also possible to disable them).

Note: github is developer centric. So if we were to use it, each of us would have his own "scummvm" repository, cloned from each other... We'd have to declare one of these the official one. Possibly by registering a "scummvm" user, similar to what e.g. facebook does: <http://github.com/facebook/>, or extjs <http://github.com/extjs>

BTW, browsing github I found this Visual Studio extension adding git support there (by another coincidence, this project is hosted on SF.net but uses github for its repository ;).

Finally, while I make lots of noise about github, I'd like to point out that I have not extensively used it myself, and that I'd be happy to give other alternatives some attention, too, if you point them out to me.

Bye,