[Scummvm-devel] scummvm.desktop

Frantisek Dufka dufkaf at gmail.com
Thu May 6 12:40:46 CEST 2010

Max Horn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>  I thought that the .desktop format explicitly allows using other formats, such as png and maybe even svg these days.

I'm not sure the .desktop specification mandates any image format
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s05.html
At least in older Maemo versions (Nokia 770/OS2006) .svg did not work
(.png does)

For Maemo I have couple of dists/maemo/scummvm*.png images converted
from icons/scummvm.svg

> Furthermore, I discovered that the Maemo and Moto ports use custom .desktop files, with some custom settings, but lacking the localized "Comment" field our default .desktop.

Good point, thanks for noticing. Actually I am not sure if the Comment
field data is used in Maemo for somehing at all but it shouldn't hurt to
have them just in case. I guess I can solve this by adding
grep '^Comment' dists/scummvm.desktop >>
debian/scummvm/usr/share/applications/hildon/scummvm.desktop
to my debian/rules.

Frantisek