[Scummvm-devel] Game enhancements

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Nov 5 10:38:53 CET 2010

Am 05.11.2010 um 10:14 schrieb Filippos Karapetis:

>> The original load/save screen currently don't exist for most SCUMM games
>> (LOOM CD, MI1, MI2, INDY4, DOTT, SAMNMAX, FT, DIG) in ScummVM. They were
>> hard coded as I mentioned before, and I don't think anyone has even
>> shown interest in adding support.
>

> That is a TODO then, isn't it?

No it isn't.

> I can't find it in the SCUMM TODO page.
> Judging by the discussion already made, this is a missing feature of the
> SCUMM engine, and the goal should be to implement these screens properly at some
> point.

No it isn't. And despite what you said before, I don't think we have a consensus that "ScummVM aims to provide an experience as close as possible to the original games". In this particular case, several people already voiced differing opinions, and I also don't think that makes sense in e.g. this particular case. Hence, no consensus.

> ScummVM's save/load screens should be enabled only if requested by the user.

For games that have a fully working, bug free native save/load dialog, I wouldn't mind that too much, but I don't think it would ever make sense for the older SCUMM games.

>> It doesn't make any sense to enable options, that only lead to bugs,
>> which can't be worked around. We have had several bugs reports about
>> these glitches after loading saved games in HE games via our GUI, in the
>> past.
>

> A warning dialog could be thrown for this when the game starts, and a
> relevant
> option is selected couldn't it?

Not everything one can do is something one *should* do.

E.g. we could also add an option "disable all bug fixes" to ScummVM. I would be vehemently opposed to that, though.